Who is eligible to receive the Grant?
A first home buyer who fulfils the criteria below:
- at least one of the applicants must be an Australian citizen or have permanent residency in Australia. New Zealand citizens permanently residing in Australia, who hold Special Category Visas, may also apply;
- none of the applicants or their spouse/domestic partner can have previously owned a residential property anywhere in Australia prior to 1 July 2000;
- for eligible transactions entered into on or after 1 January 2005, an applicant or their spouse/domestic partner cannot have purchased a property on or after 1 July 2000 and occupied that property continuously for 6 months or more;
- for eligible transactions entered into on or after 1 January 2005, applicants must occupy the home purchased or built, as their principal place of residence for a continuous period of at least 6 months commencing within 12 months after completion of the eligible transaction;
- except in cases of legal disability, applicants must be natural persons (that is, not a company);
- everyone who on completion of the transaction will be an owner of the home is considered an applicant; and
- applicant(s) must be at least the age of 18 years at the time of making application for the grant.
To see if you may be eligible to receive the First Home Owners Grant, use the checklist.
Information provided by RevenueSA